The Vilnius Museum of Antiquities

History has always aroused interest of the people as well as culture. Museum is just the place where these concepts can exist freely together. But, unfortunately, not all know the history of the appearance and development of the Belarusian museum. Meanwhile, every honest Belarusian has to know the names of Belarusian scientists, enthusiasts and researchers such as Adam Kirkor, Teodor-Mateusz Narbutt, Władysław Syrokomla. The names of the brothers from Logoysk Konstanty and Eustachy Tyszkiewicz, the world-famous scientists, take one of the first places in the list. They worked as archaeologists, historians, and ethnographers and they made a significant contribution not only to the science of their own country but also to world science and culture.

 

Museum of the Tyszkiewicz Brothers in Lahojsk. Part 2

The brothers Konstanty and Eustachy Tyszkiewicz were the founders of the first Belarusian Historical Museum of Antiquities, opened to the public at their family estate in Lahojsk in 1842.

 

Януш Тышкевич

Януш Тышкевич (Janusz Tyszkiewicz Lohojski)  был почитаемым магнатом и политическим деятелем Речи Посполитой. Он родился в 1590 году. Его отец — Теодор Фредерик Тышкевич, а мать — София, урожденная нынешнего Заславля. Он начал свою карьеру военным, участвовал под началом Станислава Жолкевского в трагической Цецорской битве в 1620 году.

 

Костомаров о Евстафии Тышкевиче

Так описывал Евстафия Тышкевича Николай КостомаровРусский и украинский историк, исследователь социально-политической и экономической истории России и Украины, украинский и русский поэт и беллетрист. Граф Евстафий Тышкевич был один из двух братьев, равным образом приобретших себе репутацию в тогдашнем интеллигентном мире Западной Руси. Старший брат его Константин был страстный археолог, известный копатель курганов в Литовском крае, издавший любопытное сочинение о своих раскопках. Меньшой, Евстафий, также был любителем истории и археологии и сделался председателем археографической комиссии в Вильне в то время.

 

The Brothers Tyszkiewicz

The first son Konstanty was born in the family of Count Pius Feletsianovich Tyszkiewicz in 1806. Besides him there were two more sons and a daughter in the family: Eustachy, Florian and Pawlina. The brothers Konstanty and Eustachy left behind an invaluable heritage for future generations.

 

Виленская археологическая комиссия

Виленская археологическая комиссия — научное и просветительское общество, действовавшее в Вильнюсе в 1855–1865. Возникла благодаря либерализации в начале царствования Александра II Николаевича по инициативе группы виленских интеллектуалов во главе с графом Евстафием Тышкевичем. Он выступал в 1830–1840 гг. с идеей создания учёного общества и музея в Литве, где с ликвидацией виленской Медико-хирургической академии и переводом Духовной академии в Санкт-Петербург (1842) не осталось ни одного научного учреждения. С другой стороны, власти были заинтересованы в том, чтобы поставить под свой контроль деятельность патриотически-настроенных энтузиастов изучения величественного и героического прошлого края.

 

Адкуль пайшла Лагойская галіна роду Тышкевічаў

Лагойск адносіўся да ліку прыватнаўласніцкіх гарадоў. У 1517 годзе яго ў якасці пасагу за жонкай Аляксандрай з роду Чартарыйскіх атрымаў Васіль Тышкевіч, які меў тытулы ваяводы падляшскага і смаленскага, старасты мінскага і пінскага і атрымаў графскі тытул ў Польшчы.

 

Museum of the Tyszkiewicz Brothers in Lahojsk. Part 1

In 1842, the brothers Konstanty(1806–1868) and Eustachy (1824–1873) Tyszkiewicz opened the first in Belarus historico-archaeological museum in Lahojsk. The brothers Tyszkiewicz were well known archaeologists. In fact, they were the founders of scientific archaeology in Belarus.

 

Page 2 of 4